Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Day of Remembrance

           
           One of the biggest things about remembrance day that I cherish is the fact that many people (Men and women) put their lives on the line to protect their country. Could you imagine a world where Hitler won? Could you imagine a world where terrorists succeeded and controlled? We are free but the cost of freedom is not free.

               There is war raging on today. Not only are our soldiers out there trying to solve the terrorist issue they are also aiding the civilians of those countries. They are there training the people of those countries how to be great policemen, they are there protecting children, they are there to make sure that female students can study without getting killed. It's a horrible situation in a very hostile country. I am so grateful that I can choose where to work, who to worship, where to go to school, the ability to send my daughter to school, the ability to be female and have a carreer, the ability to walk outside without having to worry about someone blowing me up...we do not face the anxieties that many countries face right now at this very second! For that I am so thankful!

              Another memory I have is D Day. Although I was not born yet when D Day occured I have learned alot about it. Through History class I listened with much interest. I had an awesome History teacher in 10th grade, he really knew his stuff. The battles leading up to D Day were what interested me. I couldn't even fathom a beach filled with thousands of dead bodies, a sea red with the blood of the dead. The battle of Dieppe, a very bloody battle. One that many Canadian men perished in as they landed on that beach. I couldn't imagine the wounded, I couldn't imagine what the survivors of that day went through seeing their friends dying.  3,367 casualties occured that day - including 1,946 taken prisoner and 907 Canadians killed. It was aweful. D Day occured June 6th 1944. The D actually stands for "Day" nad not "Doom" like many people like to think. This was the biggest Amphibious invasion of all time, and they succeeded from the air and from the sea. This was huge. Juno beach is where most of the Canadian troops were involved. D Day was a great victory. The war officially ended May 9th 1945. 45,400  Canadians died in WW2. That is alot compared to today's warfare. 

              So Today I think of all the past wars. I reflect on the wars raging today. I think of the brave souls at this time. I think of my friends who are in the military. I think of my Husband who wants to join the military in the next few years to become a combat medic...never would I imagine him in the military but God willing if this happens I will support him 100%. There are military personelle out there who care about the well being of this world. People I have met who have been to hell and back, people I have met who have heart touching stories of how they saved lives of children, civilians and their own comrades. Today is Remembrance day and I remember. I stand behind my troops, I respect what they are doing. I want to thank everyone. All you Veterans and all you troops. Thankyou. You have my support. Lest we Forget.  

No comments:

Post a Comment