Sunday, November 28, 2010

Meandering on the family Farm.

            Now that I have more free time on my hands and I may not get a job until spring I get to visit the family farm. My Inlaws own an equestrian farm and there is lots to do there. I went for a visit over the weekend which was quite nice. Their dogs (Sheeba and Buddy) just recently had a litter of nine pups. They are Rottie/shepherd/aussie/spaniel mix. Cute lil guys. Both parents have awesome temperment so I'm sure these lil guys will make great family pets or farm dogs. Some of the puppies have stumpped Aussie Shepherd tails and others have long tails, it's pretty neat. The lil guy I'm holding is one of the larger puppies, he's only 3 weeks old and already chows down on kibble assuming he can get at it before his mother defends the food. He's one of the two pups with Rottie faces the rest look more like border collie puppies. Buddy was attempting to knock my dog up while she was there but our dog hasn't gone in heat yet so he was not successful. We'll be breeding our dog eventually as she's a pure bred Shepherd but we're hoping Buddy doesn't get at her first...if he does, oh well puppies are puppies and I'm sure someone will want a great family pet. There's lots of farms in our area and farm dogs are always wanted. But I'd still feel a bit bad as I'd be contributing to a problem. I belive that if someone wants a nice family pet they should adopt one from a shelter. I wanted a shelter dog myself but my husband wouldn't get anything but a pure bred Shepherd. But I love our pooch and I hope to one day take home a shelter dog.
I got to take horses in from the feild as well as muck some stalls. The above pic is my little sister's minaute horse Spirit. When you look at him strait on he looks like Alf. He's a cutie but also stubborn. My family has 3 horses and a miniature horse. The rest of the horses are boarders. We're hoping to get this lil guy in next weeks santa parade. I'd be pulling him and my daughter will be riding him.
here's the new handsome rooster. The hens wander about and this guy guards the eggs. We collected about 2 dozen eggs today and I got chicken crap on me...it was quite nasty. Infact It was on my sleeve and as we were walking back to the house I wiped my face with my sleeve and got green chicken doody on my chin. Nasty. But It was funny. Farm fresh eggs taste the best.
          We also went for a swim in the indoor pool. Hopefuly they fix the hot tub soon, that would be awesome. The pool was a balmy 78 degrees. Warmer now than it was in the summer. I think it's awesome that they decided to keep the pool up and running durring the winter. Hopefully the hot tub is fixed by Christmas because I think it would be awesome to chill out in the hot tub christmas eve.
            The above pic is Dean in the arena. He's an old fart but a very affectionate horse. He's huge too. I tend to stay away from Dean as he kisses me and it's really nasty lol. Then again it's not as bad as being bitten by the other horses, apparently I taste good as half the horses try to eat my hand every time I pet them or lead them into their stalls. What's funny is horses are easier to command than my dog. Yell at a horse and they lkisten, yell at a dog and you get ignored lol. I have had horses spook too but I managed to calm them down, I'll take these guys for a walk any day :P. I have ridden a few times, I'm a beginner and I started riding at this farm. They have a great horse named Sweetie who is just the most easy going horse ever. I am practicing so that I can go out on trail rides, I promised myself I'd learn to ride a horse before I ever get behind a motorized vehicle. Yes I have actually managed to crash a horse so I'm a little worried about driving a car >< But I guess that will be my next big task. I'm looking forward to practicing in the feild.
             I would love to live on a farm...but right now I live rural enough. After all I can walk down the road to see livestock and horses and I do hear cows moo from my house. We've had chickens on our property and a pig run down the road once. I have seen a guy take his goat for a car ride and people ride their horses into town to protest gas prices. Tractors are what causes traffic jams and I smell manure in the spring. I wouldn't trade this for anything. Country life rocks. Sure beats the smell of rotten fish from lake ontario :P.

No comments:

Post a Comment