Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Finding gratitude within the Holiday Rush

             
           December. The month of being busy and rushing about. There is shopping to do, partys to attend, parking spaces to fight for, lines to wait in, food to buy, food to cook, unexpected gifts to run out and purchase, traffic to sit in, Parades to attend, if you have children there is Santa to visit, concerts to go to, gifts to buy for their friends, school events, special Christmas Hockey Tournaments...then when all the shopping is done there is family to visit. Then Boxing week deals to hunt down. Then a New Years bash to attend. Heaven forbid you decide to host a holiday party, thats extra running amok! There's no time to fit in rage and depression! That's what January is for.
             January comes along and nothing...the kids go back to school, there is no more traffic, the pretty lights get turned off slowly but surely even if there are the few homes that have them on until Summer. The only thing to look forward to in January is that dreaded Credit card bill (Unless you are like me and do not use one...I learned a lesson and I'd like to stay the heck away from borrowed money). But January is a depressing month, for some anyway. There are those who look forward to doing nothing. I look forward to doing nothing. Being less busy is a good thing.
              Are people really getting into the spirit of Christmas or is it just a time to rush about buying random crap for people? I did all my shopping early and for good reason. I want to enjoy the holiday season, I don't want to make it seem any different than other months. However when I go out I notice the rush and all the stress in people's faces. One thing is on most people's minds, and we all know what that is: Find the perfect gift.
              I got a bit caught up in the rush but I stopped myself. I wanted to buy myself something really nice but decided that having a warm house was much better so I paid the Hydro instead. The ability to pay Hydro is a gift in it's own. I'm grateful for heat, hot water, lights, an oven, the ability to blog etc. Most people won't see a Hydro bill as a gift but I encourage everyone to think about it next time they pay Hydro. Be grateful for it. This holiday season there are homeless people, people who live day to day, people going without heat and hydro, people who can't afford a nice meal. We're so fortunate. Christmas isn't about us! It's about sharing joy and giving hope to others. My friends asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I told them to go and donate some food to the food bank so those less fortunate can eat. I don't need anything. And if someone is going to get me something then at least make it something I Need and not want.
             So while you are all out there rushing around, just remember that you are fortunate. You are blessed. Even if your house is falling apart like mine is, you are blessed. We have so much and we don't even take the time to realize it. It's time for people to stop thinking about getting all the latest stuff and to start thinking about how blessed they are.
           Have a Blessed Christmas everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment