Thursday, January 6, 2011

There's nothing like a backyard rink

            Part of a Canadian winter is to build a nice back yard rink. It takes alot of work and it requires ideal weather. I remember as a kid my dad used to spend a whole week making a perfect rink. he spent nights flooding it, shovelling everytime it snowed. We Lived in Moncton at the time and we had a big yard so we made a big rink. I got decked out in Hockey gear as a 5 year old and went out with my little hockey stick to shoot some pucks around with my older brother and dad.
            I am blessed to have a huge rink in my back yard. It doesn't need flooding, it doesn't have to be built either it's there every single year as long as the weather is cold. It's called a pond. And after last weeks rain then deep freeze the pond got flooded. It's not overly slippery but it's ideal to skate on as it is smooth. So I shoveled the snow off it, strapped on my skates and went for a skate. My Daughter had her first experience and skated for a good 15 minutes before wanting her boots back on. She went and played in the snow while I continued to skate. It's been 7 years since I last got on a rink so it took a good ten minutes to get used to skating. I continued to shovel while i was on my skates. I do require a new pair, I preffer hockey skates because I can not stop on figure skates, plus my figure skates are in need of a good sharpening...and there's a bit of rust on the blade too but they sufficed.
             I look forward to going out tomorrow morning  with my husband and daughter and dog of course. We will have to reshovel as it's supposed to snow tonight but I think my husband needs more excersize so he can do it this time. I am so happy that we have this pond and I am glad that it rained last week because the ice was really crappy before. Maybe we'll have to have some friends over for a hockey game...so long as I get better skates.

No comments:

Post a Comment